support at Regent's

Our Student Services team is here to help you adjust and get the most out of life at Regent’s and in London.

We understand that to do well at university, students will often need different kinds of support at different times.

Our team offers a comprehensive range of information, support and specialist advice to help you with any matter, whether it is personal, practical or academic.

We are here to offer you help and advice whenever you need it.

Personal help and information

You can contact us at any point during your time at Regent’s for:

  • Advice on academic issues - such as difficulties with studying, periods of absence or concerns about your course
  • Help with personal issues, whether it's a quick query or something that needs a more in-depth response
  • Assistance to register with a doctor and find the health services you need
  • Financial information and support such as finding hardship funding
  • Practical information, such as how to get a student travel discount card

Academic support

We offer a range of Study Skills workshops  to support you with your academic studies and provide ongoing support to ensure you have the key skills to be successful.

Find out more

Also in this section

Student life
Student Charter
Disability information
Sports and fitness
Trips and events

Disability Office: 020 7487 7863,, Acland Building, Room A003a

Student Support: 020 7487 7555,, Acland Building, Room A003

If you have an urgent issue and need to talk to someone out of hours, you can call the Samaritans on 020 7734 2800 or 08457 90 90 90.


Beginning life at university naturally generates both excitement and anxiety about the move, academic work, meeting new people. For some, this apprehension is quickly overcome as they adapt to a new environment; for others the transition takes longer and sometimes emerges as homesickness where there is a preoccupation with home-focused thoughts. There is a yearning for and grieving over the loss of what is familiar and secure: most often it is about the loss of people - family and friends - but it is also about the loss of places and routines.

You are not immune just because you have successfully experienced leaving home before. Vulnerability to feeling homesick is affected by:

  • The distance from home
  • A sense of anti-climax at finally arriving at university after working towards it for so long
  • Whether the student was responsible for the decision to come to university
  • Unhappiness due to expectations of university not being met
  • "Job strain" - i.e. work overload and low control over it
  • Contrast in lifestyle.

Those who are homesick often feel they have no control over their environment, and that they are not identified with it or committed to the university or their place in it.

What might help?

  • Talk to someone. If you haven't made friends here yet, then come and see Student Support.
  • Keep in good contact with the people you have left behind; arrange a time to go back to see them. But also give yourself time within the university to begin to get involved here.
  • Remember that many other people will be sharing similar feelings, although you may assume that they are doing fine!
  • Be realistic about what to expect from student life and from yourself. Establish a balance between work and leisure: you are NOT expected to work ALL the time - you would soon burn out. On the other hand, if you don't put in enough time on work, you can very quickly get behind, which only adds to the stresses.
  • Remember to get enough food and sleep! These affect us emotionally as well as physically.
  • Make contacts and friends through shared activities such as sport or other interests. There are many clubs and societies within the university and city, that you are very likely to find something that suits your particular interests. At the start of the academic year many new people will be joining - you are unlikely to be the only new person.
  • Give yourself time to adjust: you don't have to get everything right straight away. Nor do you have to rush into making major decisions about staying or leaving.
  • If you stop being able to do normal social and academic things, seek professional help either from your GP or the University’s Counselling service. Don't wait until the problems have grown impossibly large.

We hope that some of these suggestions will prove useful. There are many things you can do to help yourself, but don't hesitate in seeking out the help of others. Homesickness is not unusual - and it can be conquered!


The first term at university can be a challenging time. Trying to balance the social and academic demands of university can be difficult, not to mention tiring. You may feel that everyone around you has settled in easily, made loads of friends and is also managing to excel academically. Don't worry, you are not alone! Many students struggle in the first term whether it is finding friends, managing money or getting used to university level study. Even if you have been at university for a few weeks or months (or even years!) there are still things you can do to help you settle in and enjoy your time at Regent’s. The box below outlines some ideas that could help.

Difficulties with studies

If you are having any difficulties with your studies, you do not have to go through this alone. Make sure you speak to us in Student Support, or your Personal Tutor as soon as possible so that we can find out how we can help you.


The Regent’s University London Attendance Guidance states that students are expected to attend all classes. This includes all seminars and lectures. Absences are not justified; students must attend a minimum of 75% of the classes per module. 

If illness or a situation beyond your control is affecting your attendance, please come and speak to us in Student Support as soon as possible so we can discuss your options with you and find out how we can help.

Financial Support

Make sure you have accessed all of the financial support for which you are eligible from Regent's such as bursaries, grants and scholarships. Please see the following links for details:

Banking and finance tips
Open a student bank account to take advantage of the special offers. Check what different banks are offering before you decide where to open an account.

Budgeting advice
Make sure you don’t spend all of your money at the start of term so that you have enough to see you through to the end.
Further guidance can be found by visiting or for international students go to the Living in the UK section.

Council Tax
Remember students do not have to pay Council Tax. If you are asked to pay by the Council do not just ignore the bill because the Council will need proof that you are a full time registered student, a student confirmation letter from can be obtained from Student Hub.

Part-time Work
Your studies must always come first. However, if your programme allows you the time to do so, there are a range of part-time work opportunities available in London. Information on how to find part-time work can be found by booking an appointment to see an advisor in the Careers and Business Relations Department using the Student Hub. There is also a full listing of available vacancies on the Student Hub from organisations who have contacted Regent's to advertise to students.

Hardship Fund
Struggling with money, the hardship fund may be available, contact Student Support to find out if you are eligible for hardship support and how to apply.

Cost of Living in London
The perceived cost of living and studying in London is a concern for many students. However, it is possible to live economically in the capital by taking advantage of reduced price services and facilities on campus and beyond, making the most of student discounts and concessions in shops, restaurants and bars, and by avoiding touristy areas of the city.

Your safety

Top Tips for living in London…

  • Travel home with friends after a night out – don’t walk home alone!
  • Don’t leave your valuables on display
  • Don’t ever take an unlicensed taxi
  • Lock your door – every time!
  • Keep a photocopy of your passport and visa in a safe place
  • Always keep an eye on your drink
  • Avoid travelling on public transport too late
  • Be aware of who is around you at cash points, cover your pin number and put your money away quickly
  • Don’t let people around you in clubs and bars see you enter your pin number
  • Don’t carry your wallet in your back pocket
  • Stay in safe areas
  • If using Uber, share your journey with friends
  • Wear a helmet and colourful clothing when riding a bike

For further information on staying safe in London, please see the following:

Safe Sex

It's important to stay safe while having fun at university. 

Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and unwanted pregnancies are particularly common among young people, so it's worth taking precautions.

If you would like more information and advice regarding safer sex then visit NHS choices for advice on sexual health.

Drinking & Drugs  

Alcohol and other drugs are powerful substances with a potential to harm users or to tempt them into over-indulgence, so it is important to take care of yourself when considering using them and to avoid taking any risks which you might regret later.

Psychological consequences

  • Are you using drink or drugs to escape from a problem which you might be able to solve if you faced it? If so this may prolong your shyness, anxiety, depression, unhappiness etc. rather than dealing with it for once and all.
  • Drink and drugs don't permanently change our world. They allow us to feel a temporary confidence or happiness, but the effect is usually one of borrowed time. Often the unhappiness or anxiety returns even more strongly once the effects wear off.
  • Drink and drugs can cause psychological problems by themselves. Alcohol can commonly cause depression; drugs can also cause depression, or can trigger anxiety or even psychosis (loss of reality).

Social consequences

  • You can quite easily end up in trouble with the law. Although drinking alcohol is legal, it can lead to other activities which may not be. Any conviction for drink or drugs offences may severely limit the opportunities open to you in the future.
  • Pronounced use of drink or drugs tends to rigidly define social groups, so it may limit your circle of friends.

Physical Consequences

  • While the specific physical effects of drug abuse and addiction tend to vary based on the particular substance involved, the general effects of abuse or addiction to any drug can be devastating.
  • Drink can lower people's inhibitions against hurting others.
  • Drink greatly lessens people's ability to say no to unwanted sexual encounters which they would have definitely avoided had they been sober.
  • There are long-term health risks.

Taking Control

  • Talk to someone whom you trust about your use. See if they feel you have cause for concern.
  • Consider what you are using. In particular note when you use concentrated or particularly dangerous forms of drink and drugs. Can you substitute a less potent alternative?
  • Consider the social pressures to consume. Can you limit your exposure to these - e.g. stop buying in rounds, meeting in pubs, partying late etc.?
  • Consider what emotions trigger consumption. Are you using drink and drugs to help deal with certain feelings - frustration, anxiety, shyness, boredom etc. Can you find alternative means of dealing with these feelings?
  • Try a month of abstinence. See whether you can do it, and if you can find different ways of dealing with problems.

Useful Contacts for Alcohol Related Problems:

  • Drinkline Tel: 0800 917 8282
  • Alcohol Concern Tel: 020 7928 7377
  • Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) Tel: 020 7833 0022

Useful Contacts for Drug Related Problems:

  • FRANK, Tel: 0300 123 6600,
  • ADFAM National, Tel: 020 7928 8900
  • Drug Scope, Tel: 020 7928 1211

Good health and wellbeing is central to your academic study and personal development. We aim to support you to enjoy a healthy and balanced life and can refer you to appropriate health-care services at times of ill health. If you find that illness is impacting on your studies, let Student Support know without delay in order for us to help you.

Some medical treatment in the UK is free to all European Union (EU) citizens and full-time students studying for more than six months. To gain your entitlement it is vital that you register with a local NHS doctor via the Student Hub. All students must pay for ophthalmic and dental care on the NHS.

Further Information for overseas visitors is available on the NHS website. The British Council and UK Government websites also provide guidance for overseas visitors.

Medical insurance

Even though you may be covered for some services from the NHS, the University recommends all students to take out appropriate medical insurance from their home country to cover any medical expenses that may occur in the UK and abroad.

Any international student studying at the University for less than six months need to take out medical insurance from their home country to cover any required treatment.

Travel insurance

You should also take out travel insurance that will cover you until you arrive at University and for any excursions you decide to do, both during and after your stay with us.

Immigration Health Surcharge (I.H.S.)

The I.H.S. is a financial contribution to the UK’s National Health Service. It is not a form of medical insurance. You must pay the surcharge if you are a non-EEA national and are granted immigration permission to enter the UK to study for a time-limited period of more than six months. You also must pay the surcharge if you are a non- EEA national already in the UK and wish to apply to extend your stay.

The I.H.S. is applied to immigration applications made on or after 6 April 2015. The I.H.S.  is paid when you make your visa application. The current rate for 2015 is £150 for each period of 12 months leave granted.

Once you have paid the surcharge, this means you are then able to use the National Health Service (NHS). You will still need to pay for certain types of services however, e.g. prescriptions, dental care and eye care. You will not be required to quote your I.H.S number when visiting the hospital or doctor.

Further information is available on the Home Office website. 


Many people resolve their problems by talking to friends, family or perhaps someone in their department. Others find looking on-line for information about their concerns helpful and we have a selection of self-help information available. However, there are also times when you need more than this, to talk to someone from outside your day to day life, and this is when the NHS Counselling Service may be helpful. Counselling can help you to explore your thoughts, feelings and behaviours so that you can reach a clearer understanding of yourself. This can help you to adapt, change and prepare you for your future. 

Accessing the NHS Counselling service

Full time students
Students can access the NHS Counselling service by booking an appointment with their own NHS doctor. Students can register with a local NHS (National Health Service) doctor, otherwise known as a General Practitioner, or GP, by entering their postcode onto NHS GP search

Alternatively, Regent’s students can register with Marylebone Health Centre which is a 5 minute walk from the main Park Campus.

Part time students
Students who are studying at Regent’s for less than six months should contact Student Support or the Disability Office for a referral to the counselling service at Marylebone Health Centre.

Under 18s

For Carers



Estranged students


  • Anglican/Episcopalian
    St Marylebone Parish Church
    17 Marylebone Rd London NW1 5LT.   Tel: 020 7935 7315
    Contact: The Revd Edward Thornley -

  • Roman Catholic
    St James's Church, Spanish Place
    22 George Street, London W1U 3QY. Tel: 020 7935 0943
    Contact: Christopher Colven -

  • Lutheran
    The Swedish Church, Harcourt Street
    6-11 Harcourt Street, London W1H 4AG. Tel: 020 7723 5681 
    St. Anne's Lutheran Church
    St. Mary-at-Hill, Lovat Lane, London EC3R 8EE. Tel: 07806 807631

  • Methodist
    Hinde Street Methodist Church
    19 Thayer Street, London W1U 2QJ. Tel: 020 7935 6179
    Contact: Val Reid –

  • Baptist
    King's Cross Baptist Church
    Vernon Square, WC1X 9EP. Tel: 020 7837 3976
    Contact: Pete James - 

  • Greek Orthodox
    Greek Orthodox Cathedral Church of All Saints
    Camden Street, NW1 0JA. Tel: 020 7845 2149


Islamic Cultural Centre and London Central Mosque (Regent’s Park Mosque)
146 Park Road, London NW8 7RG. Tel: 020 7725 2213    
Contact: ICC Secretary -


West London Synagogue
33 Seymour Place, Westminster, London W1H 5AU. Tel: 020 7723 4404
Contact: Sarah Nathanson -


National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha’i of the UK
27 Rutland Gate, SW7 1PD. Tel: 020 7584 2566  
Contact –


The Buddhist Society
58 Eccleston Square, SW1V 1PH. Tel: 020 7834 5858


Shree Swaminarayan Mandir
Kingsbury Road, London, NW9 8AQ

National Hindu Students’ Forum (UK)


British Organisation of Sikh Students

Central Gurdwara (Khalsa Jatha) London
62 Queensdale Road, Shepherd's Bush, W11 4SG. Tel: 0207 603 2789
Contact: Rajinder Singh Bhasin – 07960 445 758

Some helpful contacts for Interfaith Groups

Council of Christians and Jews (CCJ)
Godliman House, 21 Godliman Street, EC4V
Tel: 020 7015 5160

Friends International
(Interdenominational Organisation)
Tel: 020 8780 3511

Interfaith Network
Tel: 020 7931 7766

The Maimonides Foundation
(A joint Jewish-Muslim interfaith organisation)
Tel: 020 7287 3830